This savory tomato tarte Tatin is welcome twist to appetizer trays at a cocktail party. Serve it as a first course with red wine, or with mixed greens with pears and blue cheese as a light lunch with white wine.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours, 25 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise (substitute any low-seed variety)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh, chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh, crushed rosemary
- 1 tablespoon oil or butter, for greasing ramekins
- Special equipment:
- 4 non-reactive, 3- to 4-inch baking ramekins or individual tart pans
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees. Working on a clean surface, roll the puff pastry dough into 4 5-inch circles and chill.
Season the tomatoes with the salt and pepper and set aside. Sprinkle the sugar into a large, ovenproof skillet set over medium heat. Shake the pan occasionally to move the sugar until it melts and turns light golden brown. Deglaze the pan with the red wine vinegar, scraping up the caramel from the bottom of the skillet. Once the caramel is incorporated into the vinegar, remove the skillet from the heat.
Stir the olive oil, garlic, parsley, and rosemary into the caramel and pack the tomatoes into the skillet. Bake the tomatoes, uncovered, for 2 hours. The tomatoes are done when they are slightly shrunken with wrinkled skin.
Raise the oven temperature to 400F. Grease the individual tart pans with 1 tablespoon oil. Using a slotted spoon to drain any excess juice, transfer the tomatoes into the greased tart pans. Fit the chilled pastry circles onto the pans and press the edges of the dough tightly down the inside of the pan, between the tomatoes and sides of the pans.
Place the individual tarts on a baking sheet and bake them for 12 to 18 minutes. The tarts are finished when the dough has puffed up and turned light golden brown.
This tomato tarte Tatin recipe makes 4 individual servings.