This spiced chocolat chaud recipe is the one to make when you need pure comfort in a cup. It's a perfect way to welcome the holidays or celebrate a cozy night spent by the hearth. Spiced hot chocolate takes only a few minutes to pull together and you can customize the aromatic sweet by fiddling with the spice combinations.
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 7 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 6 oz. semisweet or milk chocolate, chopped
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons hot water, divided
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups hot milk
- 1 cup hot half-and-half, or light cream
- Sugar, to taste
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate curls
- 2 teaspoons or 4 small curls orange zest for garnish
How to make spiced hot chocolate:
Using a double boiler or a heat-safe glass bowl over simmering water, melt the chopped chocolate into ¼ cup of the water. Stir in the 3 tablespoons hot water, orange zest, cinnamon, allspice, hot milk, and light cream until the chocolate mixture is smooth.
Pour the spiced hot chocolate into cups and add sugar as desired. Garnish each cup with a spoonful of whipped cream, a few chocolate curls, and a sprinkle of orange zest.
This spiced chocolat chaud recipe makes 4 servings.