Traditional French Merlot has a medium body with slightly fruity notes of plum and currant. This classic red wine sauce recipe balances those fruity notes with the tang of tomatoes and the smooth texture of heavy cream. Serve it over Ground Sirloin Patties, steak, or lamb chops.
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups Merlot (or other medium body, slightly fruity red)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Dash (1/16 teaspoon) cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
How to make Merlot sauce:
In a saucepan over medium heat, reduce Merlot to half volume. Add tomato paste, mustard, and seasonings, whisking until smooth. Add cream and simmer the sauce until reduced by half and thickened. Serve hot.
Makes 6 servings.