Classic French Dishes
Traditional appetizers – or hors d’oeuvres – are a great way to start an elegant dinner party. These recipes are little bites of haute cuisine. Once you get accustomed to them, the sky’s the limit, because appetizers so wonderfully adapt to culinary creativity.
- Basil Palmiers Recipe
- Brandade Canapes Recipe
- Brandade de Morue Marseilles Recipe
- Coquilles Saint-Jacques Recipe
- Cornichon Pickles Recipe
- Country Pate Recipe
- Escargot Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
- Goat Cheese and Tomato Tart Recipe
- Gougeres Recipe
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Figs Recipe
- Marinated Mushrooms Recipe
- Millas Recipe
- Oyster Fritters Recipe
- Pork Rillettes Recipe
- Pissaladière Recipe
- Red Pepper Gougeres Recipe
- Roasted Goat Cheese with Honey and Thyme Recipe
- Roasted Mushroom and Brie Tartlets Recipe
- Roquefort and Caramelized Onion Tart Recipe
- Fresh Fig Spread Recipe
Salad recipes are customarily simple fare, usually involving nothing more than chopped vegetables or fruit tossed with a simply prepared dressing or sauce. These recipes take salads a step beyond that and incorporate more exotic ingredients and a bit more preparation.
Soup and Stew Recipes
Soup is an incredible respite in the middle of an elaborate, multi-course meal. It forces you to truly slow down and savor each spoonful. Enhance that experience with one of these classic soup or stew recipes.
- Baeckeoffe Recipe
- Beef Burgundy Recipe – Boeuf Bourguignon Recipe
- Beef Consommé Recipe
- Carbonnades Flamandes Recipe
- Chestnut Soup with Crème Fraiche Recipe
Side Dish Recipes
Side dishes, also known as garnishes, are an important part of a French meal. They are meant to complement and enhance an entrée. These garnishes are not to be heaped, American-style, on a plate, but used as a delicate decoration.
Main Dish Recipes
These main dish recipes, or entrées, are for the experienced cook. They take a bit of extra time, but the traditional French flare is worth the effort.
- Andouille and Potato Crepes Recipe
- Buckwheat Crepes Recipe
- Chicken and Mushrooms Crepes Recipe
- Cognac Shrimp with Beurre Blanc Sauce Recipe
- Coq au Vin Recipe
- Ratatouille Recipe
- French Roasted Chicken with Cabbage and Prunes Recipe
- Roasted Lemon Rosemary Chicken Recipe
- Roasted Maple Orange Glazed Turkey Recipe
- Smoked Salmon and Dill Crepes Recipe
- Spinach Soufflé Recipe
- Steamed Mussels in Vermouth Recipe
- Tomato and Spinach Crepes Recipe
- Wine-Poached Salmon With Black Truffles Recipe
Traditional French desserts are sometimes elaborate in preparation and always a fantastic culinary feat. Try one of these recipes the next time you’re looking to impress your guests.
- Basic Crepes Recipe
- Calissons With Meringue Recipe
- Cardamom Coffee Mousse Recipe
- Chocolate Crepes Recipe
- Chocolate Grand Marnier Crepes Recipe
- Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- Chocolate Pistachio Ice Cream Recipe
- Chocolate Torte with Blueberry Wine Coulis Recipe
- Cinnamon Espresso Cream Sables Recipe
- Cinnamon Orange Crepes Recipe
- French Canadian Crepes Recipe
- Gingerbread Crepes Recipe
- Glace au Pain d'Epices Recipe
- Individual Chocolate Souffles Recipes
- Lemon Crepes Recipe
Bread and Pastry Recipes
Pastry and bread are always on the French table. Learn how to master these classic recipes.
- Basic Pastry Dough Recipe
- Belgian Waffles Recipe
- Pate Brisee Pastry Dough Recipe
- Pate Sablee Pastry Dough Recipe
- Pate Sucree Pastry Dough Recipe
Fine wine is a popular topic in French cuisine. Learn more about French varietals, wine guides, tours, and recipes to try at home.
Once you’re learned how to cook intermediate to advanced French recipe, you’ll want to show them off. Use these sample menus as inspiration for your own party.