This classic recipe uses the traditional Basque ingredients of ham, bell peppers, and smoky paprika.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped raw ham
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 medium green bell peppers, cored, seeded, and sliced
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Stir the flour, paprika, salt, and pepper together on wide plate or wide, shallow bowl. Evenly coat the chicken pieces with the spices flour mixture and set them aside.
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken pieces for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Cover the Dutch oven with a lid, turn the heat to low, and continue cooking the chicken for 15 minutes.
Add the ham, garlic, and chicken stock to the chicken, and then cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Stir the sliced bell peppers into the mixture and cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until the peppers are hot and tender. Do not overcook the peppers. Serve the chicken and peppers garnished with the fresh parsley.
This recipe makes 4 – 6 servings. .