This soup is very subtly flavored, so be sure to use strong vegetable stock. Accompany the soup with a crusty baguette and mixed greens for a complete meal.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 cups strong vegetable stock
- 8 ounces cooked chestnuts
- 1 cup chopped white onions
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 thin celery stalk with leaves, chopped (1/2 cup chopped celery)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup plus 1/4 cup crème fraiche, divided
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the vegetable stock, chestnuts, onions, carrots, celery, salt, and pepper to a simmer. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low-medium, and simmer the soup for 30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Stir in 3/4 cup of the crème fraiche.
Process the soup, in batches, in a blender until smooth. Alternately, use a hand-held immersion blender to process the mixture. Spoon the soup into serving bowls while hot, and then garnish with the remaining crème fraiche.
This recipe makes about 10 servings.