Watercress can vary wildly in flavor depending on season and where it has been grown. Take a little nibble of the stuff you plan to use in this soup to determine how much you want to use.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 3 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 large bunch (about 10 oz.) watercress, washed and coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup light cream or half and half
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
In a medium saucepan, sauté the onions in the olive oil until they turn soft and translucent. Add the vegetable stock to the onions and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer for 2 minutes. Add the watercress to the stock and continue simmering the soup for about 3 minutes, or until the watercress fully wilts into the stock.
Stir the light cream into the mixture and then puree it with either a hand-held immersion blender or a countertop blender in batches. Season the soup with salt, pepper, and lemon juice, and then warm it over low heat to serving temperature.
Makes 6 servings.