Warm and inviting, this winter vegetable ragout makes the perfect home-style dinner. Serve this simple vegetable stew with a bottle of wine, a loaf of country bread, and a crisp, green salad for a complete meal.
Would you like to receive recipes and cooking tips every week? Sign up for your free French food newsletter here and put some flair into your everyday kitchen.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups butternut squash, cut into cubes
- 2 medium red onions, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage (optional)
- 2 medium turnips, coarsely chopped
- Ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 plum tomatoes, cut into cubes
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme or rubbed sage
Preheat the oven to 350F. Toss the carrots, butternut squash, red onions, cabbage, and turnips with the olive oil and arrange the vegetables in a large roasting pan. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper to taste and then roast them in the oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
Stir the vegetable stock, white wine, tomatoes, and thyme or sage into the vegetables and continue roasting them for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened considerably and the vegetables have started to caramelize.
This winter vegetable ragout recipe make 6 servings.